Wheatear

The OH and I decided to get away from the big smoke and headed out West for the May Bank Holiday weekend. Both of us had been toiling away at our respective jobs and we needed the break. The weather was glorious (for a change) and we just spent the time walking the dog and exploring my home town. One one of our walks, we discovered this handsome little chap






 I had never seen this bird before in my life. Naturally I was excited to discover a "new" bird species, but I had no clue what it was! When we got home, I began an online search to find out what it was (trust me to leave all my field guides at my other house!). I started with Bird Watch Ireland and it in no time. It's a Northern Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe). It's a small migratory bird that's found all over the Northern Hemisphere. They stop off in Ireland (among other places) en route from Canada to Africa (apparently, it makes one of the longest journeys of all the small birds)



Comments

Popular Posts