I wanna be a farmer

 We’ve had some extremely warm days in the last few weeks. I can’t say I’m a fan of temperatures above 25°C, but the garden is thriving. There is always something to be done - somethings needs to be fertilised, watered, pruned or thinned out, so I’m kept out of trouble 😊.

The garden was already beautiful, and the previous owner obviously took pride in it. And she had excellent taste in flowers - there are lots of pink, red and white roses. We have put our own stamp on the garden. My DH cleared a corner of the garden, and we’ve planted some potatoes, onions, pumpkins, squash and watermelons. I had no idea how weedy pumpkins can be, or just how big they grow - the few I have planted have completely taken over half the patch and are growing into the onions… Mental note: next year clear a new patch and just plant the pumpkins there. 


This is just one plant! How many pumpkins comes from one plant? Will we be eating pumpkin soup all winter?

The spuds. Some of these will be ready for harvesting in about a week or so.




Rhubarb. I hated rhubarb before I moved to Denmark. Now, I can’t get  enough of it… stewed, in a pie, in a crumble, in a cake, with ice cream, with custard… I love me some rhubarb. Unfortunately, these were only planted this year, so I won’t be harvesting any of my own this year, to allow the plants to establish a bit. Roll on next year…

Before I go, here’s a peek at the flowers






Slán go fóill!


  

Comments

Popular Posts